Tuesday 21 August 2012

Oil Cleansing - DIY

As an avid consumer of Beauty blogs, I haven't missed nearly everyone recommending oil cleansing and using Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil. However for an RRP of $105 that was never, ever going to happen. Think of all the clothes I could buy with that!

So after more Googling, I discovered you can make it your own with the secret ingredient being Castor Oil. Apparently this is the stuff that really gets into the pores and cleans them out making your skin amazing.

To make it, you simply need to mix castor oil with some other moisturising oils, such as good ol' olive oil and my moisturising bestie, Jojoba. Depending on your skin, you simply change up the ratios, e.g. 

Oily/congested skin = more castor oil, less moisturising oil
Dry skin = less castor oil, more moisturising oils

After hitting up the local health food shop for some oils, I got to work!
I decided to make some for the boyfriend too as we had so much and Priceline only sells bottles in 2.
So off I set mixing like a genius at the kitchen table. James pointed out I looked like Walt - WIN!

Science, Bitch!

I was quite concerned that the oils wouldn't blend well but happily they did! Below is a sample of the bottle I made James.


He gets a moustache because he's a boy. 

So how did it go cleansing wise I hear you ask?


I'm really quite pleased with the results although I have only done it once. At first it felt so thick and oily but in saying that I could feel my makeup being pulled off my face. Once I started washing it off with the warm face washer it came off easily and my skin was left super smooth, glowing and dare I say it, looking cleaner than usual! I may post an update showing said glowy cleanness, but perhaps during a time where I don't have dermatitis under my eyes... 
This is definitely something I'll be continuing and I'm really glad I've found a new, cheap way to keep my skin  lovely that doesn't involve chemicals or harshness. Or more importantly spending hundreds of dollars, especially not while my science career is still so underground.

B x

1 comment: