Friday 31 August 2012

Quest for the perfect eyebrows

"You have really good eyebrows"
We've all heard the story of that friend of a friend, who was walking along minding their own business when BAM! There was the one person they just knew they couldn't go another day without, this was the one they knew they wanted to look at everyday for the rest of their lives.

This actually happened to me, or rather my eyebrows. You see, why I had on occasion been told I had good eyebrows, they weren't perfect, and they were all alone and didn't have anyone to look up to. Apparently Brooke Shields had good eyebrows, but as this was early 2000s, those were way too thick and uncool. Onwards my eyebrows trudged feeling incomplete until they saw them.
They were not too thin, not too thick, they were just right! Katy Perry's beautiful brows!

 

I can't even see the Oompa Loompas on her finger nails, not when there is a work of art happening north of her eye!

In my quest for these I decided to do the unthinkable to try and grow out my eyebrows. Yep, I sure did. Thankfully my eyebrow hair is rather fair so it wasn't a complete disaster. But nothing really happened either, turns out my 12 year old self who I had been blaming for the blah brows was actually pretty sensible and nifty with a pair of tweezers so they ended up almost the same again. Damn.

But then I discovered the secret. Katy, you've been holding out on me!

The Holy Grail
People don't have perfect, thick brows they are dirty little cheaters filling their brows with pencils.
A solution at last!
Since discovering this several weeks ago, I am a certified brow pencil addict. I don't feel 'done' without doing them. They have this magical ability to make the rest of my face look polished and well groomed which is not something I'm usually great at achieving.

To demonstrate, here is a before and after.

 

Sad, bored and lonely eyebrows in desperate need of a friend

Happy, Katy inspired eyebrows
While the difference is subtle, there is more definition in the entire brow, particularly in the tail, and this is what I believe makes all the difference. An even greater difference would be not having dermatitis under my eye and a blister under the other, but that is a blog post for another time.

So how do we feel about eyebrow pencils? OTT or a necessary step in a beauty regimen?

B x

2 comments:

  1. I love Katy Perry she is awesome at face painting. I am learning how to become a face painter myself, I tried liquid eyeliner for the first time ever, I think it went well......Kinda. You can see the difference the pencil makes for you, it makes your eyebrow look fuller and thicker without being bushy and "Brooke Shields" big. I like it. : ) and I'm also liking the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :-)
      Katy Perry is amazing all around. I've also started using liquid eyeliner again after giving up on my gel liner - I feel like a little kid who can't colour in the lines. However I bought a Loreal one that has a super long brush which makes it easier to keep the line straight.

      Delete